“No one is born hating another person because of the color of his skin, or his background, or his religion. People learn to hate, and if they can learn to hate, they can be taught to love for love comes more naturally to the human heart than its opposite.”
– Nelson Mandela
The call to fight and act extinguish racism is still an ongoing process, and we need more awareness and discussion about it if we want to open more opportunities to eliminate racial discrimination and injustice. And although we still have a long way to go, having an earnest desire to help can create a huge impact in the world we are living in.
In this episode, we are joined by Charlotte Caples, CEO and Racial Equity Strategist for Charlotte Caples Consulting, LLC and we will learn about her journey and experiences on racism and how she took the opportunity to start the change.
We’ll also discuss individual and institutional racism, the fight for racial equity, and what it means to be intentionally anti-racist.
Charlotte shares her unintentional, yet destined, transition to full-time entrepreneurship and how she had to build her business mindset to charge for her services and build a team to truly create a lasting impact. Her story will inspire you to step out of your comfort zone, speak up, and pursue your purpose.
Remember that by standing up for your beliefs and principles, having the best intention at heart, everything is possible.
- Doing individual therapy was going to take me a long time to fix what I knew was an organizational problem.
- Knowing my story, and knowing my experiences was what began my entrepreneurial journey.
- The moment you step outside of the functioning organizational culture, the white organizational culture of our systems and institutions, they will put you in your place. They will either promote you or they will fire you.
- Humanity is about seeing each other as human and treating each other as such but many people focus on seeing the humanity in black people because quite frankly, we were never treated as if we are humans.
- Trust your gut and be strategic about how you speak your truth, surround yourself with a network of people who are there to support you, and those who are also on their racial equity journey, who believe what you believe, and who are centered around anti-racist principles.
Get to Know the Guest:
Charlotte Caples is the CEO and Racial Equity Strategist for Charlotte Caples Consulting, LLC where she helps leaders get over their fears of talking about racism, develop their voice about racial equity, own their power, and transform systems that negatively impact them. She believes that outcomes should not be predictable by race and that peace, power, and prosperity are everyone’s birthright.
Charlotte’s leadership development coaching system has helped more than 5000 leaders begin to live authentically, feel more confident, courageous, grounded, and purposeful about their journey to transform racism.
Connect with Charlotte:
Click HERE for the SHOW TRANSCRIPT.