Most successful entrepreneurs know that intelligence and talent are just the starting points for success. We can always improve and our basic abilities can be developed with intention and dedication. Therefore, creating a mindset that supports productive daily habits is one of the best ways to grow personally and professionally.
Emotions like fear and anxiety drive behavior, but what if there was a way to better manage or speak to these emotions? What if there were methods to harness the power of positive thinking and stop catastrophizing business situations? This could be as simple as relaxing and visualizing a beautiful beach to manage stress or imagining only two people in the audience as you give an important speech to calm your nerves.
The mind is a powerful tool, and we can leverage the mind-body connection to help prevent procrastination and unproductive behaviors to move us closer to our desired goals.
In today’s episode, I talked with Randall Hayes, a neuroscientist, university instructor, and hypnotist. He has embraced multiple disciplines and uses his knowledge to help his clients. Randall started as a researcher studying neuroplasticity, which involved investigating the brain’s ability to reorganize and “heal” in response to an injury. He then became interested in the intersection between meditation and hypnosis, which led him to pursue becoming a hypnotist to help people relax and focus their minds.
Randall shares with us the foundations of hypnosis and how it is an excellent tool to deal with fears, phobias, and anxiety and helps release us from our unconscious or deep-seated inhibitions. In addition, we discussed how getting into the flow state, or becoming hyper-focused, helps in harnessing the power of habit.
- One of the keys to helping people make behavioral changes is recognizing that something is wrong.
- All hypnosis is self-hypnosis.
- So many of our procrastination behaviors are the avoidance of momentary anxiety.
- The idea is to give yourself a little bit of anxiety and learn how to deal with that, and then become more ambitious (in dealing with your fear).
- Guided imagery is a prime technique of hypnosis.
- Emotion is what drives behavior. A lot of our thinking is just rationalizing decisions that we’ve already made emotionally.
- Getting enough sleep is a big thing because all these other techniques are going to work better when you’re well-rested.
Get to Know the Guest:
Randall Hayes is your friendly neighborhood neuroscientist, writer, and successful entrepreneur. He is the owner of Agnosia Media, a consulting firm for educational projects for schools, businesses, nonprofits, and governments. Randall’s previous stints also include being a farmer, neuroscience researcher, college professor, and hypnotist.
Connect with Randall:
Click HERE for the SHOW TRANSCRIPT.