For many of us, one of the first things you do in the morning is decide what to wear for the day. Some may think this is a simple task, while for others, it takes a lot of time and effort, and you find yourself wearing the same thing over and over again. As an entrepreneur, what you wear takes on greater importance – you are the face of your brand and the power of your first impression can set you up for business success. People will remember how you look when you first meet, so choose an outfit that makes you feel powerful and look great!
In this episode, I am joined by Monica Barnett, award-winning wardrobe stylist and founder t of Blueprint for Style, which aims to help professional men and women discover the difference real “fashion” can make in their everyday lives, as well as inspire and influence them to be more intentional about their personal style.
Listen to our conversation, where Monica shares how her business transitioned from a side hustle to a full-time business and how she helped many clients discover their unique style, enjoy their wardrobe, and feel good about themselves.
We also touch on the following:
- The Psychology of Fashion
- Tips on how to be intentional and show up on a virtual work-from-home life
- What Pocket Personal Stylist is all about
- Life-changing lessons from the book Never Eat Alone By Keith Ferrazzi
- Necessity breeds invention. As an entrepreneur, you have to be flexible and you have to be continuously listening to your audience and listening to what’s out there. – Monica Barnett
- Running the numbers is a wonderful way to remind yourself that you’re moving from a side hustle to a business. It’s not meant to scare you, but it’s meant to tell you here’s what you’re going to have to do and what systems do you have to put in place to make it happen – Monica Barnett
- It is so important as an entrepreneur to put your best foot forward. – Monica Barnett
- If you can be intentional about what your uniform is, if you can be intentional about what it is you want to say, then you can build around and upon that. But be clear in your head about what it is you are going to put out there and show to the world. That’s your visual resume. You have every opportunity to curate it and make it exactly what you want. – Monica Barnett
Other Resources Mentioned:
- Blueprint for Style
- Pocket Personal Stylist
- Without Saying A Word: The Silent Power of Style By Monica Barnett
- The Creatives’ Closet: for Female Side Hustlers, Influencers, Entrepreneurs & Empire Builders By Monica Barnett
- Never Eat Alone: And Other Secrets to Success, One Relationship at a Time By Keith Ferrazzi and Tahl Raz
Get to Know the Guest:
Monica Barnett has over 13 years of styling and branding experience and has been featured on many stages around the world but the focus is always on the importance and power of the first impression. Across Ms. Barnett’s distinguished career as a wardrobe stylist, she has had the privilege to partner with major corporations to fine-tune their employees’ styles and brands; and the opportunity to work with corporate executives, politicos, and world-class athletes. The goal is always to develop a more intentional approach to curating one’s outward appearance to align with one’s lifestyle and aspirations.
Connect with Monica:
- Monthly Newsletter
- Pocket Personal Stylist (Subscription-based, on-demand personal stylist)
About the Show:
Women Thriving in Business features candid unscripted conversations with entrepreneurs, business experts, authors, and academics aimed at contributing to business success. This weekly show provides interviews with business leaders who have built, grown, and are thriving in business. Nikki A. Rogers, host of the show, also discusses achievements, lessons learned, and advice for aspiring business owners to develop the mindset, strategies, and connections necessary to thrive in business. Whether you are just starting or you have been in business for decades, WTiB offers inspiration, strategies, and resources to help you THRIVE in business.
Connect with Nikki: